Saturday, January 9, 2010

NUESTRO PADRE HESUS NAZARENO

Minor Basilica De Senior Nazareno, a Roman Catholic church in Quiapo, Manila.

The miraculous Black Nazarene is a life-sized, dark-colored, wooden sculpture of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

The statue was brought to the Philippines by the Augustinian Recollect Missionaries on May 31, 1606 aboard a ship. The ship caught fire, burning the image and turning it from its original white color into black. Though the image was burnt, the people decided to preserve and venerate it. Since then, miraculous things have been reported to those who touch the image.

(The first, second and third photos was taken by Torn of Biagkensiak.
Thank you so much)


Every 9th of January, the feast of the Most Holy Black Nazarene is celebrated. It is out for the procession. In procession, the statue has been placed on a golden red carriage and pulled through the streets of Quiapo by thousand of male devotees in maroon shirts and bare footed. Despite of the wounds, body pains, physical discomfort and sometimes death because of exhaustion, heart attack and stamped every year the devotees always come. Any kind of people either VIPs, politician, celebrities or ordinary fellows they joined together to get close to the image.

These 2 photos lifted from Google images , (thank you so much)

People believe that those who have touched the Nazarene are sometimes been healed of their diseases. That's why they what to get close enough to touch the image and receive a miracle.

I remember when my grandmother was still alive, she and me always went with the procession every year, but we accompanied or pulled the rope of separate carriage of Mama Mary nearly the last one so that there's no much people as the carriage the Blk. Nazarene ( Note that there's a lot of carriage of saint, not only one). But when she was weak and gone, I stop too, I just attain a mass every Friday and during the feast day. And every time I go to Manila I always see to it that I can visit to this church.

I took this photo few months ago, only one, because the Martial approach me and told me that taking photos of the image is prohibited and if I really wanted to, I have to get a permit first to the office. But I have no so much time so I told the man that may be some other time I will .

For more info read - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Nazarene

No comments: