Sunday, December 27, 2009

Salted Duck Eggs

One of my sister that visited me this Christmas brought me a lot of salted eggs that we called "Itlog na maalat", because they live in Pateros , a place known for Salted egg and Balut eggs production. (I'll post about Balut eggs later, let me post about Salted eggs first.)




Sliced or chopped salted red eggs with chopped tomatoes and steaming hot rice have been a favorite breakfast since early times and also a side dish for a meal. My youngest like it so much too. If you could remember my Mycah's bento, I prepared sometimes a salted egg for her.

http://mychikara.blogspot.com/search/label/my%20Mycah%27s%20bento
(see the 5th and 2nd to the last photo)

The preparation of this Duck eggs are immersed in super-saturated solution of salt for 2 weeks at least. After two weeks or more, the eggs are taken from the salt solution and boiled. The eggs are then colored red.

See this link for more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salted_duck_egg

No comments: