Friday, August 28, 2009

My Sinigang

I cooked a Sinigang last week for our lunch.Sinigang na Hipon (Shrimps or Prawns).
I cooked first the veggies and put some seasonings. Then when it was boiling , I put the Shrimps and leave it on low fire and I went up stairs 'coz I have to do something.

I was so (busy upstairs) engrossed with what I've been doing when suddenly I jumped out when I remembered that I'm still cooking downstairs. I hurriedly run down on the stairs and I opened the lid of the kaldero (my Pyrex casserole) and when I stirred the boiling soup, I can't fine my shrimps anymore, because it shrunken too much, Oh my ... oh my.... I was so dismayed...

But suddenly(again) I laughed out loud... and laugh...

WHY...

Because I remember what's my "Honey Baeb" Yong Joon ssi written before to one of his essay....

He said.. he went to Hajodae and gone fishing. He caught 4 Goonsoo fish about 1 foot long each and he boiled it 'coz somebody told him that if he just boil the fish, it has a especial taste. So being so curious how it would taste, he did and let it boiled, too. And when he looked at it, he was confused too that the fish shrunk to a finger size and he just laughed too to his surprised.

There.... it's boiling!!!!

Can you see the shrunken shrimps???

Sinigang is a Philippine dish famous for the variety of ingredients. Sinigang often incorporates fish, pork, chicken, shrimp, or beef. I used Shrimp for my recipe. Sinigang’s characteristic taste is attributed to the ingredient that gives its sour taste and most commonly use ingredient is Tamarind or Sampalok for its sour taste.

Sinigang na Hipon Ingredients:
1 Kilo Shrimp
12 pcs Tamarind (Sampaloc) or 1 pack Sinigang Mix
1 big Onion (diced)
3 big tomatoes (quartered)
2 pieces Radish (sliced)
1 bundle Sitaw (Strringbeans)
1 bundle Kangkong (cut into 2″ long)
3 pieces long green pepper
5 cups ricewash or water
Salt or Patis (fish sauce)

Sinigang na Hipon Cooking Instructions:
Boil Tamarind in rice wash or water to soften.
Pound and extract all juices and set aside.
In a casserole, boil rice wash or water, Tamarind juice, onions, tomatoes and Radish.
Lower fire, add in Shrimps, Kangkong, Sitaw and green long pepper.
simmer for 5 minutes.
Season with salt or patis.
Serve hot.

No comments: